Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Tortoise And The Hare...


I was thinking about that story this morning. Who would I rather be? The tortoise or the hare? Two years ago, I would have been the one ready to be first to the goal line. The faster I got there, the better. Now I believe in pacing myself. I believe now that a slow, steady finish will help me win this race ultimately. So I suppose I shall be that giant, slow, tortoise plotting my way through this. If you think about it though, people who are slower, tend to be more thoughtful and careful about what they are doing so I suppose there is something to be said for that? Agreed?

When I speak of how much I lost in the past in my blog 2 years ago, and how quickly...I want to say right now that I don't recommend that. If I did, I'd still be that tiny thing I was when I lost it and would have never stopped. It was too much, too fast and though my ideas where right and methods were probably right...it wasn't healthy to lose it at that rate. I just don't want anyone to feel like I would ever encourage anyone to want to move at that speed. It sounds good, the immediate gratification is good but the lasting affects? Pshhh...well, here I am!

Now on to dinner last night. I was in a quandary as to what to fix. I wanted something I knew they would all eat and it had been a chicken dish the night before, turkey burgers (for me) and hamburgers for them the night before that, and the night before that is escaping me but I am sure it involved chicken, or turkey. LOL

So, after thinking about it I thought of a favorite thing my husband and kids really like. That is taco bowl salads. I have discovered that if you buy the giant flour tortillas and spray both sides with cooking spray and lay them over a balled up pieced of foil on a cookie sheet on 400 for about 7 minutes or so, they make "bowls". I made these but made one of the smaller ones for me using a low fat, high fiber tortilla from Mission. (Called "Life Balance) Anyway, I took some chicken breasts and coated them in a seasoning mixture I made with chili powder, garlic salt, cumin,sea salt and pepper, some olive oil and lemon juice and let that sit for an hour or so and grilled them. I also grilled two ears of fresh corn on the cob. Then I cut up fresh red peppers, avocado,cilantro, had black beans, tomatoes, fresh spring salad mix, some lower fat cheese, salsa, etc. I cut the corn off the cob and cut up the chicken and put all the stuff on the table and everyone made their own "salads" in a taco bowl. As my kids would say..."easy peasy lemon squeezey"! I have a low fat red pepper vinaigrette I put on mine that is really good.

I took all the left over veg's and cilantro, minus the lettuce and mixed them with the chicken and put them in a pyrex bowl for me to have for lunch today. So it should be good and HEALTHY which is what I am going for!

No comments: